Thursday, December 11, 2008
Laos
Really, I've been meaning to write more but I just can't sit around the computer for so long anymore...at least not when it's so nice outside. I'm not sure it's rained since I've been here. But anyway, I'm currently in Laos, known for mmmmmm nothing I guess...It's land locked and very poor. The locals are nice enough though and the landscape is amazing. Plus they drink this rice whiskey called lao lao that is really, really cheap and there is the very drinkable beer lao. Accomodation is slightly more expensive than Thailand costing a whopping five dollars a night for a room and food is dirt cheap -- I've been eating at this outdoor veggie buffet, you fill your plate for about 50 cents. I've spent the last two days travelling down the Mekong River on a slow boat. I'm not sure that that sounds super exciting and to be honest it wasn't, they cram a bunch of tourists on a shotty boat with asian (read small) size seats and you go down the river. It's nice for like an hour when you're like oooo look a mountain or ooooo look some kids bathing in the water. Then you stop at a small village and it's that whole human zoo thing that kinda makes you sick so you start thinking about the dollar beer lao they are selling in the back and well you know the rest of the story. But really, Laos is great. The french colonized the reagion so there are some great colonial buildings and if you are sick as shit of noodles and rice you can get a baguette sandwich and they have real coffee. Plus there are real cool signs in our guest house that say we can't have sex with anyone unless they are our wife and that if we do drugs we will be subject to the death penelty but of course there are people offering you weed everyday. And to top it all off, the bars close at 1130 and there is a 12am curfew. Yes, you must be in your bed by 12 or you are breaking the law. But seriously, I do like this place.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Sorry I didn't pick up your call the other day. I was in a very compromising situation in a Burger King bathroom in Miami and I didn't think it was worth answering an unavailable number. Wrong. Gimme a call again!
-Robbie
While you are basking in the sun, we are shivering in some bitter cold - below zero weather and snow. Seems like snow every day...
Bill
Post a Comment