My first impression of Bangkok was not so good. I stayed near the Khao San Road -- an area infamous for backpackers and all night partying. It is unique. However, I found it to be too much; too many tourists, too many people pushing shit on you, too much bad music and too many dreadlocks. Once I ventured out of the area though, I found a much different city and began to really like it.
Bangkok is a city of contrasts. On one hand it seems very poor. Things are ridiculously cheap; my own private rooms cost about $4 a night, and most meals bought on the street cost about one dollar (and so far the stomach is holding out). On the other hand there are upscale malls and massive brand new hotels in the "new Bangkok" area -- a place not unlike Columbus Circle or something. Yesterday, I visited an 8 floor mall that was all computers, fake video games, fake software and fake DVD's. Really, you can get anything in Bangkok for very cheap.
Getting around the city is an adventure in itself. The bus system is extensive if not a nightmare to figure out. But it is so cheap, you just kinda hop on and hope it sorts itself out. You can also travel by river boat, tuk tuk (motorized rikshaw), motorcycle and taxi cab (about $2 for a half hour ride). There is also a brand new sky train that is fairly impressive, though, at the moment only covers a small section of the city. Traffic in Bangkok is horrendous, probably wost I've seen; red lights are a suggestion, cross walks are wherever and motorbikes sometimes feel its necessary to ride on the sidewalk. It's all a bit nuts.
Thai people -- when there not pushing this or that on you -- seem very nice and helpful and so far seem to speak enough English to avoid total frustration. I'm currently in Chiang Mai and plan to bum around the north for a few weeks then head to Laos -- I've heard great things. I hear it's cold in the states. Sucks....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Thanks for getting the blog up! I love to follow your travels. And no, I don't wish I was there. - Mom
Keep it coming. I heard about that bombing in the Bangkok airport and got worried for a second there...
-Robbie
Mike - HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! Hope you are enjoying your birthday in Thailand -
Bill
Yeah Mike D! Get your world travel on! Be safe over there. And no funny stuff
Kahl
Yeah Mike D! Get your world travel on! Be safe over there. And no funny stuff
Kahl
Good to hear from you mikey. I worked yesterday (your b-day) and half expected a call. Sounds like you are on your way to figuring the place out. Have fun and Happy Birthday!
Andy
Post a Comment