Saturday, January 26, 2008

Australia Day!



So there I was, sitting in the bar eating breakfast - groggy, tired, exhausted - when a bearded uber-traveler looking fellow says to me, "do you speak German?" Not entirely understanding why this question would be asked in English or why I get asked this so often when I travel, I explain to this fellow that despite my kraut-like looks I am American and in fact speak English and very, very poor Spanish. "What day is it," beard-man asks. "Saturday," I say, quite excitedly - for once I'm certain of the date, "January 26th." I get a blank stare. "It's Australia day!" Is this guy blind or dumb? There are Aussie day flyers all over the hostel and shit, the place is full of them -- who else wears boardies (swim trunks) and thongs (sandles) in a city that likely never gets over 50 degrees? "Austalia," the confused uber-traveler says, "no, I'm from Austria." ughhhhh....
Anyway, it's Australia day and I'm in La Paz. I've spent all morning trying to upload heaps of pics onto this stupid blog. But alas, blogger is a pretty shit site for uploading photos...these two pics are of the Salar de Uyuni, one of the coolest places I've ever been...really messes with your perspective. I'll try to keep this up and load some more pics but my patience is at an end...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You look like you're in an 80's video.

-Robbie